Blog posts

7.18.2009

abandoned apartment, Pripyat

Living room in an abandoned apartment in Pripyat, 2 km from Chernobyl. Click on photo for larger version.
The last time I was in Pripyat, the city next to Chernobyl, I tried an experiment. I've been looking for a way to photograph abandoned apartments. They have very small rooms and are often fairly empty. This living room had more in it than most do.

Does this four-tych approach work? I am still undecided. In this project I've shot a number of 360 degree panoramas, but it didn't seem like that would work well here. Instead, I put my wide-angle lens at 17mm and stood back to each wall and shot the whole room.

This week I am going back to photograph the former apartments of people I've interviewed and photographed. Should be interesting.

/* Google Analytics code: ----------------------------------------------- */